Thursday, October 5, 2017

Alcohol Is Everywhere!!



I never really paid attention to alcohol until I stopped paying attention to it. That is a bit of a mindbender so let me explain.

When I drank everyday I never really noticed how many liquor stores there were on my drive to and from work. I never really noticed how often I see advertising for alcohol. It is in most movies and music. It's on all the sporting broadcasts. I even hear it in some of the books I listen to. And, I listen to non-fiction.

The point I am trying to make is that I didn't notice how prevalent alcohol is in our society until I stopped using it. There is an obvious correlation between my desire for it and my subconscious looking for it since I have recently quit. That much is obvious. But, this is one of those surprises that I did not expect taking the 30 Day No Alcohol Challenge. And, one that has given me a new perspective on our lives.

Alcohol is so pervasive in our society that is should be no wonder why we have so many alcohol related problems. It is literally everywhere! It is a part of every socio-economic class of society. It is geographically everywhere including so-called "dry" counties. It is ingrained in our culture.

It is no wonder our youth are drawn to the "adult" beverages. It becomes the forbidden fruit that the Serpent uses to lure the Eve of our youth. It is really a shame in some respects.

According to Statista, alcohol has become a huge part of the economy generating a whopping $223.2 Billion in sales annually in the US alone and those sales continue to increase. Sales increased 4.5% last year alone.

Americans are drinking more. A lot more. 

According to a study published in JAMA Psychiatry, an estimated one out of every eight Americans struggles with an alcohol disorder.

While none of what I learned is good news, it is news that I would not have learned if it hadn't joined the 30 Day No Alcohol Challenge. It is eye-opening.

It is sobering.











No comments:

Post a Comment